At age 29 I did not think it was any kind of age-related issue; like a heart-attack.
I was devastated to read that she passed away today and they are now saying she attempted (and succeeded) at committing suicide. One news story claimed she hung herself.
How does this happen?
How does a beautiful, young & seemingly successful woman decide to off herself? Did she have a history of mental illness? Was she diagnosed with some disorder or did she really not see what she had to live for?
I suffer from both physical and mental illnesses. I am depressed. I am on medication but seriously question its effectiveness. Truthfully, I have no desire to off myself. I don't get it. I know people that feel this way and it just makes me really really sad.
The article said the family chose to remove the life-support and she was given last rites and was surrounded by friends and family. Where have they been? Did nobody know she was suffering?
I find this entire story very sad.
How many people around us are struggling and suffering and we are so wrapped up in our own worlds that we are clueless about others? Is there anything anyone could have done?
I just shake my head at the wrong-ness of this.
I hope that anyone out there in the interwebs that come across this measly little blog and find this measly little post knows that there are people who care! If you don't think there is anyone around you who gets what you're feeling, I'm sure there is someone willing to talk with you.
Heck! You can go to my Facebook page and private message me! I just feel sad for this lovely girl's family and friends. I'm sure they wish she had called them or done something different then what she did.
Once you are gone there is no undoing that.
Here are some signs to look for from SAVE:
Warning Signs of Suicide
These signs may mean someone is at risk for suicide. Risk is greater if a behavior is new or has increased and if it seems related to a painful event, loss or change.
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself.
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or buying a gun.
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Talking about being a burden to others.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs.
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly.
- Sleeping too little or too much.
- Withdrawn or feeling isolated.
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge.
- Displaying extreme mood swings.
Additional Warning Signs of Suicide
- Preoccupation with death.
- Suddenly happier, calmer.
- Loss of interest in things one cares about.
- Visiting or calling people to say goodbye.
- Making arrangements; setting one's affairs in order.
- Giving things away, such as prized possessions.
A suicidal person urgently needs to see a doctor or mental health professional.